Florida officials on Tuesday reported a third person tested ‘presumtively positive’ for the coronavirus in the state, adding to the two reported cases on Sunday.
According to Governor Ron DeSantis, the new case coincides with one of the previous tests, with the new patient being the sister of the woman in her 29-year-old from Hillsborough County who reportedly tested ‘presumptive positive’ on Sunday. Both women reportedly traveled to Northern Italy together — a high-risk travel location.
Alberto Moscoso, a spokesman for the Florida Health Department, said the older woman had been traveling with her 22-year-old sister, a resident of California. Both sisters have been isolated and are being closely monitored by health officials. The state is currently waiting for confirmation on the positive test results from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The new outbreak follows an executive order issued by DeSantis after two individuals tested positive for the coronavirus.
The governor signed the order after two adults — one located in Hillsborough County and the other in Manatee County — tested “presumptive positive” for the worldwide epidemic.
According to the Florida Department of Health (DOH), the Manatee County patient did not travel to any restricted country identified by the CDC. The person, who has not been named, has sought medical care and is being treated. Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees said health officials are still investigating how he contracted the respiratory virus.
The string of positive cases prompted the governor to hold a press conference on Monday in Tampa to update the public on the recent cases that resulted in DeSantis issuing a public health emergency for the state of Florida.
Despite the new case in the Sunshine State, DeSantis stated that the overall immediate threat to Floridians remains low, but noted that they do anticipate more people will test positive.
“Despite these cases, the overall immediate threat to the public remains low,” DeSantis said on Monday. “With that said, we do anticipate that more will test positive, and we’ve taken additional actions to contain the virus’s spread.”
To date, more than 92,000 people have been infected, with the number of deaths now exceeding 3,000 people. In the United States, more than 100 cases have been confirmed — with six deaths, all in the state of Washington.
Testing for the virus in currently ongoing in Miami, Tampa and Jacksonville.