NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season

by | May 20, 2021

 

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season.

In a forecast released on Thursday, NOAA predicted a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season. Additionally, the climate prediction center predicted 13-20 named storms of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes, including 3 to 5 major hurricanes.

NOAA provides these ranges with a 70 percent confidence.

“Now is the time for communities along the coastline as well as inland to get prepared for the dangers that hurricanes can bring,” said Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo. “The experts at NOAA are poised to deliver life-saving early warnings and forecasts to communities, which will also help minimize the economic impacts of storms.”

Along with today’s forecast, NOAA also released a summary graphic showing an alphabetical list of the 2021 Atlantic tropical cyclone names as selected by the World Meteorological Organization.

Despite the active 2021 storm season, experts say they do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020.

“Although NOAA scientists don’t expect this season to be as busy as last year, it only takes one storm to devastate a community,” said Ben Friedman, acting NOAA administrator. “The forecasters at the National Hurricane Center are well-prepared with significant upgrades to our computer models, emerging observation techniques, and the expertise to deliver the life-saving forecasts that we all depend on during this, and every, hurricane season.”

The 2021 hurricane season runs from June 1 to Nov. 30.

0 Comments

Leave a comment

%d bloggers like this: