Select Page

FPL on upcoming hurricane season: ‘We are ready’

by | Jun 23, 2021


Florida Power and Light (FPL) is touting its emergency response plan ahead of what could be a turbulent storm season.

With the Sunshine State bracing for what is forecast to be an above-average 2021 hurricane season, FPL released a new video laying to rest any concerns if the statewide electric company, which represents over 5 million accounts in Florida, will be ready to respond. The one-minute spot, titled “Storm Season 2021 Is Here,” shines the spotlight on FPL’s fortified power grid following an active 2020 hurricane season.

“In 2020 there were 30 named storms. Now, storm season 2021 is here. Another active year on the radar. And we are ready yet again,” the text reads in the video.

FPL made its presence felt in 2020, sending thousands of employees to New Jersey, Louisiana, Texas, and the Panhandle to help with recovery efforts. FPL also deployed more than 1,500 employees and contractors across the Southeastern U.S. to provide mutual assistance following Hurricane Zeta. Five times during the unprecedented hurricane season, FPL provided mutual assistance to other utilities directly impacted by hurricanes.

In the video, FPL also highlights its continued efforts to strengthen its energy grid and improve services for more than 10 million Floridians.

“Investing more than $5 billion to serve you better. Advanced technology to get your lights on. 45% of power lines now underground. Reliability 58% better than the national average,” the video continues.

Since the historic hurricane seasons of 2004 and 2005, FPL has invested more than $5 billion to strengthen the energy grid, hardening main power lines and upgrading and replacing distribution power poles that no longer meet industry standards. Additionally, FPL has implemented “smart technology” to maintain its grid resiliency, using drones to assess overhead power equipment with little to no environmental impact.

“America’s most intelligent grid is stronger, smarter, and more storm-resilient. Storm season 2021 is here. We are ready,” the video concludes.

In a forecast released last month, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicted a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season. Additionally, the climate prediction center predicted 13-20 named storms of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes, including 3 to 5 major hurricanes.

NOAA provides these ranges with a 70 percent confidence.

0 Comments

Leave a comment

%d bloggers like this: